D & I just had a night away without the children. It was so lovely to spend some unhurried time together alone. I think it’s the first break away since before I fell pregnant with the youngest, so alm0st 2 years ago. The fact that I can’t actually remember when it was means it was too long really.
We were away for just under 24 hours but I came home refreshed and happy.
Since I got home around 5 hours ago I have:
- dealt with poo painting (pasty, clay coloured)
- arbitrated several arguments
- cooked dinner for 6
- done 2 loads of laundry
- taken out rubbish, recycling and compost
- consoled a very tired, very emotional and irrational child
- applied anti-fungal cream to a baby scrotum
- been thrown up on (think yoghurt)
I find getting back into the swing of family demands quite shocking after a day of adult time. I actually got to eat, sleep, go to the toilet, and hold conversation without being interrupted. Coming home felt quite overwhelming. I think I am an introvert.
Of course since coming home I have also:
- chatted to a friend and my sister-in-law
- downed a beer (and a half)
- laughed at scandalous knees
- kissed and cuddled my babies
- had astonishingly revolting facebook banter with my brother*
- handed out hokey pokey ice cream cones
- watched my kids play
So it’s not all poop.